‘Wicked’ Harry and Meghan newspaper cover criticized
As Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announce the happy news that they are expecting another baby together, a British tabloid has been criticized online for the ‘disagreeable’ way in which it shared the story.
The cover of the Monday edition of Daily Star exploded on social media after using the headline, “Ad Shy Woman Tells 7.69 Billion People, ‘I’m Pregnant’,” while covering Sussexes’ faces with black bars.
BBC News editor-in-chief Allie Hodgkins-Brown shared a photo of the cover on Twitter, in which Meghan was referred to as a ‘shy woman’ and Harry was referred to as her ‘beautiful ginger’.
The caption on the image also called the pair a “totally normal couple doing normal things,” while noting that the photo they chose to break the news looked like “scenes that could have come straight from a romantic comedy”.
Within hours, the tweet and cover image had gone viral, with people calling the gesture “mean” and “disgusting.”
“It’s utter nastiness,” one person wrote. “Either say something nice or say nothing at all.” Why the need to be so awful? She miscarried and is now celebrating a new pregnancy. Leave them both alone.
Another called it a “disgusting take”, adding: “she miscarried and now announces on her terms – it’s privacy!”
“Really mean at a happy time in their lives. They lost a baby in July. Such bitterness,” was another response.
While a fourth called him: “Needlessly cruel at all levels”.
The cover received some support, albeit minimal, with one person writing, “As always, the Star says it better than we ever could.”
While another agreed: “Yes, a prepared commercial (like a movie) has been shot by people who yearn for privacy, it will do anything to make it into the newspapers.”
Harry and Meghan chose Valentine’s Day (US time) to share the exciting news they were expecting from a baby.
They shared a stunning black and white photo taken in the gardens of their California mansion, in which Harry can be seen resting his hand on Meghan’s head as she lies on her knees cradling her bump.
The baby will be their second child after welcoming Archie on May 6, 2019, and will also be what is commonly referred to as a “ rainbow baby, ” the first baby after their tragic miscarriage last year. Sad news the Duchess of Sussex shared in July 2020 in a deeply personal post for the New York Times.
News of the baby comes after Meghan wins her High Court case against another UK publisher for “unlawfully” publishing parts of a letter she wrote to her father, Thomas Markle Snr, after her marriage with Prince Harry.
Meghan released an emotional statement after a judge agreed with her last week that posting the letter “private and personal” violated her privacy and copyright.
“For these media, it’s a game. For me and so many others, it’s real life, real relationships and very real sadness. The damage they have caused and continue to do is profound,” The Duchess of Sussex said in a statement.
“The world needs high-quality, reliable, verified news. Sunday mail and its partner publications do the opposite. “
She said “we all lose when disinformation sells”, but added “for today we have all won”.
“I share this victory with each of you – because we all deserve justice and truth, and we all deserve better.
“I would particularly like to thank my husband, my mother and the legal team, and in particular Jenny Afia for her unwavering support throughout this process,” she concluded.
Don’t miss a thing. Sign up for the daily Yahoo Lifestyle newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at [email protected].