Queen privately pays for Prince Andrew’s sexual assault trial against Virginia Giuffre
The Queen is privately paying for Prince Andrew’s legal fight over the sexual assault allegations, he revealed.
The Telegraph reported that it understands the Queen is funding the Duke’s defense against Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who accuses him of sexually assaulting her as a teenager.
Prince Andrew has always denied these allegations.
The Queen is expected to inject millions into the legal battle, which could last for months or even years.
READ MORE: Virginia Giuffre case: Prince Andrew officially receives court papers
The Duke is said to have expanded his legal team, with senior lawyer Andrew Brettler alone billing around $ 2,000 an hour.
He works for Lavley Singer, a US-based firm known for making celebrity legal problems “go away” with high fees.
The Telegraph also reported that the Queen agreed to pay for her son’s legal defense right after the Duke’s infamous Newsnight interview, in which he countered claims of Giuffre dancing with him by saying he didn’t the ability to sweat.
The funds will come from the Queen’s annual income from her private estate in the Duchy of Lancaster, worth over £ 23million.
The palace’s involvement in the legal battle means the Queen should be made aware of the progress of the case.
Giuffre is said to seek “significant emotional and psychological distress and harm” from the prince.
The Queen’s reported intervention is seen as a necessity by Buckingham Palace, as the Duke is said to have no noticeable income – despite his lavish lifestyle.
Prince Andrew is currently set to sell his last home, a £ 17million Swiss ski chalet, which was purchased with the Queen’s help.
The former owner also alleges the Duke and his former wife, the Duchess of York, owe him £ 6.7million.
READ MORE: Real Scottish Politics: New Medal For Prince Andrew Says It All
The Duchess had previously accepted £ 15,000 from the now convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
David Rowland, a financier who reportedly owns an offshore fund in a tax haven with Prince Andrew, is also said to have paid £ 40,000 to help settle the Duchess’ debts.
There had been back and forth between the Duke of York and Giuffre’s legal teams, with the prince finally officially receiving the court documents in the sexual assault trial last week.
Prince Andrew has until October 29 to respond to the trial and the next hearing is scheduled for November 3.